Sunday, January 10, 2021

She Is Out Of The House

 I am out and roaming southern Arizona!

Since I am attempting to blog while on my phone I have no idea how this will work.  Last night was my first night out and I slept like a baby.  I woke up at my usual time, 4 a.m. it was 40 degrees so I just snuggled under my blankets with a book.  Later I played my flute and meditated   This is the most relaxed I have been in a month   Right now I am just relaxing   Tomorrow the hiking will begin   

I have been asked about having no heat when I travel.  I never sleep with a space heater on or a propane heater in a small space.  

I was living in a small - itty bitty apartment in Springfield MO with my then two-year old son, James.  He slept in a bedroom- I was on a couch.  There was a gas leak during the night.  My friend called me early (thank goodness) and James answered the phone.   He told her mommy won’t wake up.  We were both hospitalized. Had a three or four day migraine.  We both suffered from severe headaches since.   Mine has diminished over time.  I am terrified of that happening again.  

Detectors are a crap shoot.  In my little truck camper, it would go off if my dog farted.  So I bundle up.   When you wake up to this...  it is so worth it

 



1 comment:

  1. Okay, I KNOW you're of German heritage so I FULLY realize what follows is a TOTAL waste of time. That said, you KNOW how we Germans CAN'T pass up an opportunity to expound and/or pontificate. So just plug your ears and enjoy chanting LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA...

    I used an Olympian Wave 3 for a number of years both in the Metro (see: https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com/2015/02/backpack-on-wheels.html ) and in the Tracker -- sometimes all night with the windows TIGHTLY closed -- and never had any issues. (Please practice self-control and refrain from commentary on my -- alleged -- mental capacity.)

    The Wave 3 recently pooped out and I bought a Journey 3, a new model from Enerco, the makers of Mr. Buddy heaters. I got it through eBay for $100.00 less than the MSRP.

    Catalytic heaters are known to emit virtually no CO. Back in 2014 when I was interested in taking matters into my own hands, I "tested" the method using my two-burner Coleman. It was, while happening, as you experienced, quite painless. As I was nearing loss of consciousness I opened the door. It took two weeks to recover. I had a mild headache during that time but no long-term (not that I or anyone else'd notice) effects. But the point is I KNOW what CO feels like.

    Of course, there's nothing cheaper than a pile of blankets if you have room to store 'em. But being a cold-wuss, I REALLY hate being cold. End of rant.

    Happy Travels!

    ReplyDelete